how much is to pay to get the full version

This forum is for all posts about issues with downloading the Pro Version. Also please email support@virtronics.com.au

Moderator: Adrian

Nuwansenanayake

how much is to pay to get the full version

Postby Nuwansenanayake » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:44 pm

cost

Simulator_admin
Site Admin

Re: how much is to pay to get the full version

Postby Simulator_admin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:13 pm

$11.99 AUD and this will increase to $14.99 when the next target level is reached which could be next week or in 6 months time. This cost also comes with free upgrades until June 30 and support until then. After this time, the Pro Licence can be renewed for another sic months at half the cost of the Pro Licence

cookie_lu

Postby cookie_lu » Thu May 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Are you saying paying the Pro version now only comes with 6 months free updates, and there after i have to pay (at 50% of full price) every 6 months if I want to continue to get updates?

Adrian
Super user

Postby Adrian » Fri May 03, 2013 11:45 pm

Hi cookie_lu,

An interesting point, but...

First off, other than being a beta tester and trying to help out on this forum, I have nothing to do with the product.

I was attracted here as a simulator was a glaring omission in the Arduino development package (I have been a long-time user of PICs that have a very sophisticated commercially supported development package) and was tempted to write my own, having tested a couple of other offerings, but then I found this one...

Can I say personally that...
  • The cost is pretty low and after conversion, since the Oz dollar ain't very strong, dirt cheap!
  • This business plan is typical of many software houses, you pay an initial cost to "own" the software - see small print - then (usually) a percentage of that cost annually to have maintenance and upgrades that are free at the point of collection. That amongst other things helps to pay a wage to the developers, pay for this website etc.
  • Nobody is forcing you to purchase since they allow you to use their code for free, nor are you obliged to pay the ongoing subscriptions once you have paid for the original code.

Having worked for many software houses and indeed writing my own commercial titles, I can assure you that you would not be prepared to pay the real cost of developing a package, most self employed software writers earn a pretty thin wage. This is especially true of packages like a simulator, where the goalposts are constantly moved externally, so constant unexpected changes have to be made. This includes target hardware upgrades, new target hardware, changes to the target language and user requests for additional functionality.

I hope that is inciteful,

Adrian
Apologies for being opinionated - it's nothing personal, feel free to complain.
usual system: Pro V0.98 Arduino Mega 2560 Samsung i5-3210M 2.5Ghz 6GB windows home premium SP1

Calibos

Postby Calibos » Sat May 04, 2013 1:45 am

Hello
I am in reciept of the upgrade download and see that i need to pay again. i bought the upload 3-5-13. Do we pay for each upgrade?

Adrian
Super user

Postby Adrian » Sat May 04, 2013 4:10 am

Hi Calibos,

I'm sorry, but I can't answer questions about individual payments, as I said above, I have not connection to Virtronics. You'll need to have your post answered by the development team, but if you have only just paid I would think that you would not need to pay again right now.

Regards
Adrian
Apologies for being opinionated - it's nothing personal, feel free to complain.
usual system: Pro V0.98 Arduino Mega 2560 Samsung i5-3210M 2.5Ghz 6GB windows home premium SP1

cookie_lu

Postby cookie_lu » Mon May 06, 2013 1:20 pm

Adrian wrote:Hi cookie_lu,

An interesting point, but...

First off, other than being a beta tester and trying to help out on this forum, I have nothing to do with the product.

I was attracted here as a simulator was a glaring omission in the Arduino development package (I have been a long-time user of PICs that have a very sophisticated commercially supported development package) and was tempted to write my own, having tested a couple of other offerings, but then I found this one...

Can I say personally that...
  • The cost is pretty low and after conversion, since the Oz dollar ain't very strong, dirt cheap!
  • This business plan is typical of many software houses, you pay an initial cost to "own" the software - see small print - then (usually) a percentage of that cost annually to have maintenance and upgrades that are free at the point of collection. That amongst other things helps to pay a wage to the developers, pay for this website etc.
  • Nobody is forcing you to purchase since they allow you to use their code for free, nor are you obliged to pay the ongoing subscriptions once you have paid for the original code.

Having worked for many software houses and indeed writing my own commercial titles, I can assure you that you would not be prepared to pay the real cost of developing a package, most self employed software writers earn a pretty thin wage. This is especially true of packages like a simulator, where the goalposts are constantly moved externally, so constant unexpected changes have to be made. This includes target hardware upgrades, new target hardware, changes to the target language and user requests for additional functionality.

I hope that is inciteful,

Adrian

Thank you for your insightful reply. Yes I may agree with you about the price of this product if you are using this simulator to create and sell commercial products, earning a living from it.

For me I am just taking up Arduino as a hobby, thinking a simulator like this one will help me learn and tinker with it. For that matter, I am happy to pay the beta price, but to keep paying for a maintenance fee is too much for me now. I know one does not have to pay for the maintenance fee but updates could mean bug fixes, not just product enhancements. I guess this product isn't targeted to hobbyist.

Return to “Pro Version Download Issues”