COM Port

This forum is for all topics related to Simulator for Arduino v0.98. Please include sample code where possible.

Moderator: Adrian

akshay2801

COM Port

Postby akshay2801 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:12 am

Hey Guys,

Just needed to know how to set the output of the COM PORT of the software to 10..as in am using arduino simulator to get the values and then import them to processing software for a graphical output...since the later software is set to com port 10..i needed to know how to change the com port of arduino simulator..

thanks in advance!

Adrian
Super user

Re: COM Port

Postby Adrian » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:33 am

Hi akshay2801,

Thanks for your question, although I'm not entirely sure that I understand your requirement.

The serial output from the Arduino board is from Serial(0) (Serial1,2,3 etc.) depending upon your board, you may have from 1 to 4 ports See Reference .

The "Port" is the channel on your PC (Mac etc) that accepts this stream of data, (it is recommended that you use Com Port 1) and directs it to (in this case) the Serial monitor on the SDK. And to pick it up the SDK needs to know what port your PC is using to be able to read/write to your board.

You could for instance read/write to a stand alone monitor program, e.g. "Tera Term" (here)

Since Simulator is a simulation, it does not need a serial port as this passing of data is simulated, hence, the port need not be set.

I hope that is helpful; If I have misunderstood your question, can you explain your issue differently please?

Kind regards
Adrian
Apologies for being opinionated - it's nothing personal, feel free to complain.
usual system: Pro V0.98 Arduino Mega 2560 Samsung i5-3210M 2.5Ghz 6GB windows home premium SP1

panjas51

Postby panjas51 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:24 am

I'm not sure to understand either the original question, but I could imagine beacause this is my current qestion:

How can I get the value created by the simulator thru the serial port to an exertal program, i.e. processing, Acccess or anything else?

Many thanks

Adrian
Super user

Postby Adrian » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:01 am

Hi again panjas51,

At this stage of the Simulator's development, this is not possible.

The usual (mine at least) development path is to use the Simulator to allow you to visualize variables and single step through code. Once an area of code has been "fixed" it is uploaded to the target system again for further testing.
Other applications and hardware that accept data from the Arduino should be debugged in their own SDK. This is especially true for time sensitive processes. That's not to say that it isn't something for the future.

I hope that helps in the short term panjas51.

Kind regards

Adrian
Apologies for being opinionated - it's nothing personal, feel free to complain.
usual system: Pro V0.98 Arduino Mega 2560 Samsung i5-3210M 2.5Ghz 6GB windows home premium SP1

panjas51

Postby panjas51 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:55 am

Many thanks for this true response

J.p

Return to “Version 0.98”