What was included for the $14?

This forum is for all topics related to Simulator for Arduino v0.98. Please include sample code where possible.

Moderator: Adrian

meduren

What was included for the $14?

Postby meduren » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:31 pm

It's not what I thought I was getting. I thought it was a good price on a simulator for supporting it early in the development. It was not clear that not only does that not include updates but prohibits the use after 6 months!? Sorry but I don't intentionally rent software. The original version of the sim was too buggy for serious development and without virtual tools to simulate serial com ports nearly worthless.
Only 14 bucks, I know, but this is a hobbyist's tool. Professionals don't use Arduinos; they use AVRs, or PICs, or other micro-controller.

Simulator_admin
Site Admin

Re: What was included for the $14?

Postby Simulator_admin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:42 pm

I think there are some wires crossed here. The Simulator does not expire, only the support period. We have never offered the Simulator at $14 - It now costs $15 AUD which may translate into $14 USD. For this there is currently 14 months of support which includes all upgrades as well as answers to any problems. The recent price increase from $12 to $14 came with an extended support period.

With the original version being buggy, which version was this? We have recently added unit testing which gives much greater security and confidence against bugs. With Arduino only being used by professionals, that is a gray area but we do admit that Arduino is designed more as a great learning tool but I think you would be surprised how many professional use the Arduino. We actually designed the Simulator for new users, but from the feedback maybe 90% of Simulator for Arduino users are professionals and they have been driving the feature set and the need to reduce the bugs.

meduren

Re: What was included for the $14?

Postby meduren » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Sorry for the delay... and the rant :oops: . I believe it was 0.97. Subsequent versions have been much improved - and you are right, I did not understand the terms correctly, my apologies for the mistake.
after the support time had evidently past I received an e-mail saying the new version was available with a link to the download. After downloading it and using it for a bit the nag screen reappeared. Upon closer inspection it seems I've received e-mails for the free version and the pro version. Could I have downloaded the wrong version?

In any event I have upgraded to version 0.99 after a quick test session. It seems you all have been very busy down there; much improved and many more features.

Return to “Version 0.98”